Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Reminders

Have you ever become disillusioned with life?


If you’re honest, the answer is probably yes. Perhaps it was a broken relationship. Maybe you faced a financial hardship, even the loss of your job. Or it could be that you took a look at the state of the world—suicide bombings, slaughter in Sudan, famine in Africa, or an earthquake in Haiti—and wondered how God could really be good.


What should we do when we find ourselves conflicted, tempted, or fighting a battle within? How can we restore connection with God when it feels like that connection has been lost?


To know God’s thoughts, we need new minds. The apostle Paul said it this way:


“Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” Romans 12:2 (ESV)


If circumstances have caused you to doubt God’s goodness, you can renew your mind by focusing instead on the promises God has given you. These are the passages that people hang on the walls and embroider on pillows. We’ve heard them so often. But that doesn’t mean we’ve allowed them to pierce our hearts.


God’s promises are effective because they are true. They reveal His character. His merciful love for His children is unending. He desires and is able to provide for our needs. His goodness never fails. More than that, God’s promises give us new minds because they reveal to us our great need for Him.


Jesus shows us the solution to distraction and disillusionment in His Parable of the Sower, found in Matthew 13:18-24. It’s all about our reception of God’s Word, our ability to let Scripture permeate our minds and affect our thinking and actions. Rejection, disillusionment, and distraction can hinder us from responding to Scripture. On the other hand, they can act as a mirror that shows us the reality of who we are—the poor in Spirit. The kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these when they realize their total dependence on the Lord and His word for peace, for comfort, for clarity…for everything.


Today is a good day to remind yourself of what God has promised. Begin by revisiting some of the passages that we often quote but seldom think deeply about. Here is one to get you started. Don’t just recite it. Read it. Meditate on the words. Ponder what this means for you today. Ask God to show you the ways He is at work in the world and in your life.


Psalm 23

A psalm of David.

The Lord is my shepherd,

I lack nothing.

He takes me to lush pastures,

he leads me to refreshing water.

He restores my strength.

He leads me down the right paths

for the sake of his reputation.

Even when I must walk through the darkest valley,

I fear no danger,

for you are with me;

your rod and your staff reassure me.

You prepare a feast before me

in plain sight of my enemies.

You refresh my head with oil;

my cup is completely full.

Surely your goodness and faithfulness will pursue me all my days,

and I will live in the Lord’s house for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment