Thursday, November 26, 2009

Who am I to tell you about inner peace?

Who am I to tell you about inner peace?

My own journey to inner peace has been a long one—almost a century long, to be exact. I was born in 1920 and grew up in the oil fields of Odessa, Texas. In my life, I’ve fulfilled many roles. After WWII I was a Hollywood actor and producer. An oil man. A rancher. A civic leader and philanthropist. A husband and father.

I have always been a driven person, the kind of man who sees potential, who founds things: The William Moss Institute, a charitable and educational organization at the American University, Washington DC; Television Corporation of America, which produced a Peabody Award-winning documentary. The list goes on…

Like so many who want to be a part of positive change in America, I became politically active early in my life. I’ve chaired countless committees, helped raise millions of dollars for causes I believe in, and worked closely with the Bush family for many years. In 1989, at the request of President George H. W. Bush, I organized and was chairman of the President’s Drug Advisory Council, which was part of the Executive Branch of the White House. The Council was formed to advise the President on ways to involve the private sector in the war on drugs. I’m particularly proud of the things the Council accomplished.

A person’s resume tells you very little about who they are when nobody is watching. My business life was an obvious success. But I was a man in need of redemption, of divine intervention, and a spiritual awaking. God used several key moments to draw me to Himself. One of those was meeting my wife, Dianne. We were introduced by a mutual friend in 1995. Dianne has been, and still is, one of the strongest influences in my own redemption.

It might surprise you, then, to discover my most recent noteworthy accomplishment. After becoming a member of Alcoholics Anonymous at the age of 85, I am looking forward to celebrating my fifth year of sobriety. There are many reasons alcoholics drink; however, inner peace is not one of them.

Any successful person, if he or she is truthful, will tell you that success does not necessarily bring peace—not between you and others and not within your own heart. But neither does failure.

Consider the words of the apostle Paul:
“I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.” (Philippians 4:12, NIV)

What is Paul’s secret, the source of his contentment (a key milestone on the path to inner peace)?

“I can do all things through him [Christ] who gives me strength.” (Philippians 4:13, NIV)

When I began to pursue Christ’s presence in my life, to carve out quiet moments and immerse myself in Scripture, I finally experienced true peace. The Bible clearly tells us that Christ gives every believer the strength to find contentment, to experience inner peace. But many of us rarely experience the peace we long for. Are you allowing your circumstances and the attitudes of your hearts to blind you to Christ’s strength, to distract you from pursuing His peace?

***************

Dear God I know that all things work together for the good of those who love you. I have asked for Your direction and I believe that I am where You want me to be. I am comfortable; I am at peace. You have blessed me in so many ways. I am grateful for all that You have done for me. I put my life in Your hands.
Thank you for granting me inner peace.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment